Relaymedia

World Vision Hong Kong Calls on Donation for Peru Quake

( [email protected] ) Aug 18, 2007 07:10 AM EDT
HONG KONG- As the magnitude-8.0 quake rocks central Peru Wednesday night, the world’s major relief organizations flock to the city to rescue survivors, the call for relief donation has even spread as far as Hong Kong.
A girl hold a bag containing a blanket in this undated photo released by World Vision after an 8.0 earthquake devastated central Peru, Wednesday. Aug.15, 2007 Photo: World Vision

HONG KONG- After a magnitude-8.0 quake devastated central Peru, international calls for disaster relief has spread as far as Hong Kong island.

"This is the most serious earthquake in the last 30 yeas. Many children lost their homes in the midst of cold weather, and they lack clothes to keep warm. At night, the temperature can drop to 9-10 degree celcius, so the situation is very worrying," said the Chief Executive Officer World Vision Hong Kong Kevin Chiu.

"Meanwhile, they also need much medical aid for emergency. Although Peru and Hong Kong are very far from each other, we call for the support of Hong Kong citizens in the relief aid," Chiu added.

Throughout the week, electricity, water and phone services were down in most of southern Peru.

Three assessment teams from World Vision's office in Peru have visited the worst-affected Ica region - which includes the towns of Pisco, Chincha, and Canete.

The teams concluded the greatest obstacles to bringing relief include damages to roads and downed telephone communications. Peru's only coastal highways was reported to have been severely damaged, hampering aid transportation.

World Vision reported on Friday that it has so far delivered 200 blankets, 500 pieces of warm clothing, 10 stoves, and medicine to survivors in affected areas.

On Wednesday evening, a devastating quake hit the southern coast of Peru, reportedly leaving at least 510 people dead and 1,500 injured.

The few hositals in the southern Peruvian desert have overflowed with patients.

The Peruvian military, working alongside aid groups, have begun clearing rubble while house ministry officials started gathering a list of survivors who need new homes by mid-morning Friday, according to AP.

The magnitude-8.0 quake is said to be the nation's worst tremor in more than 30 years.


[Editor's Note: Gospel Herald reporter Hudson Tsuei in San Francisco contributed to this report.]