. . . just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do. 1 Peter 1:15
Long ago God gave His people ten special laws to show them how holy He is and how sinful people are. The laws also tell us how God wants His people to live. We call these laws the Ten Commandments:
1. You shall have no other gods before me. (Worship God alone.)
2. You shall not make for yourself an idol. (Don't let anything take God's place in your life.)
3. You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God. (Only use God's name with respect.)
4. Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. (One day a week is to rest and worship God.)
5. Honor your father and your mother. (Treat your parents with respect.)
6. You shall not murder. (Protect life; never take life away.)
7. You shall not commit adultery. (Married people are to be true to each other.)
8. You shall not steal. (Don't take something that is not your own.)
9. You shall not give false testimony. (Don't lie; tell the whole truth.)
10. You shall not covet. (Don't want things that belong to others.)
When God spoke these commandments the people were afraid. But Moses, their leader, explained that God was showing them how great He is in order to keep them from sinning. The Israelites said they would obey God. Will you?
Used with permissions.