Bristol County officials decided that it would be in the best interests of New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez to remain in solitary confinement isolated from the general population.
The alleged murderer was placed in solitary right he was booked, fearing violent inmates might view Hernandez as a “prize,” according to TMZ. The officials vowed to review his situation and would consider moving him if they felt it was safe.
On Tuesday, the impounded search warrants were released after judge Daniel O’Shea granted a motion filed Monday by several news organizations. Although Bristol County (Mass.) District Attorney Samuel Sutter said Monday his office disagreed with the ruling, he did not indicate whether he would appeal.
Hernandez has pleaded not guilty and is being held without bail. He is charged with premediated murder of Odlin Llyod, 27-year-old friend and semipro football player, and five weapons charges. His attorneys have called the case against him “circumstantial” and “not strong” and say Hernandez is eager to prove his innocence, according to USA Today.
On Wednesday, the Miramar search warrant in Broward Circuit Court revealed that Hernandez has admitted to an accomplice that he fired the shots that killed a man in Massachusetts, according to Sun Sentinel.
Hernandez and two alleged accomplices – Earnest Wallace and Carlos Ortiz – took a car ride with Lloyd the night that Lloyd was killed, according to Ortiz’s statements detailed in the warrant.
Lloyd’s body – shot five times – was found in an industrial park less than a mile from Hernandez’s North Attleborough, Mass., home.
Lloyd, 27, had been dating the sister of Hernandez’s girlfriend. Investigators have said Hernandez and Lloyd argued at a Boston nightclub days before the killing.
The Massachusetts warrants also revealed that Lloyd sent text messages after 3 a.m. to his sister saying he was with Hernandez. The New England Patriots cut Hernandez from the team on the day of his arrest.