Relaymedia

Samsung Galaxy S4 Explodes, Fire Burns Down Entire Apartment in Hong Kong

( [email protected] ) Jul 30, 2013 07:59 AM EDT
A report claims that a couple in Hong Kong suffered minor injuries after a Samsung Galaxy S4 exploded and caused fire in an apartment yesterday.


A man from Hong Kong claims that a fire caused by his Samsung Galaxy S4 destroyed his entire apartment.

A report claims that a couple in Hong Kong suffered minor injuries after a Samsung Galaxy S4 exploded and caused fire in an apartment yesterday.

The man, known as Mr. Du, was playing a game on his device. When he received a low battery notification, Du promptly plugged his device to a charger, when the device exploded in his hand.

He says he reacted quickly and threw the phone onto a nearby sofa, which promptly caught fire. The flaming Galaxy S4 then quickly spread throughout the entire apartment. Du and his wife made it safely out of the firestorm.

The news follows a report earlier this month of 18-year-old Swiss woman who received third degree burns on her leg after her Samsung Galaxy S3 exploded in her pocket. Also in 2012, a man in Dublin said that his Galaxy S3 caught fire while sitting on his car's dashboard.

Each of the incident has been linked to unofficial products being used with the phone, including the case of the above Swiss woman, whose phone exploded. She was using a discount replacement battery at the time.

However, Du claims that he was using authentic Samsung gear, such as the battery and charger. Samsung Hong Kong said it is looking into the matter.

Samsung is not the only mobile provider with freak accidents. In the past month a Chinese woman was reportedly killed by an electric shock from her iPhone 5 when she answered a call as the phone was charging, while a Chinese man fell into a coma under similar circumstances.

Apple's response to these stories has been to advise people to use only official Apple chargers.