The FBI has released video footage of the Navy Yard shooting Wednesday that shows the the shooter Aaron Alexis entering the building and roaming the halls with a gun.
The shotgun carried by Alexis had messages etched into it including "End to the torment," "Not what yall say" and "Better off this way," the FBI said at a press conference on Wednesday.
The following timeline details Alexis' activity during the morning of September 16, 2013:
- 7:53 a.m. - Alexis' rental car, a blue Toyota Prius with New York plates, entered Parking Garage #28 at the Washington Navy Yard, located directly across from Building #197.
- 8:08 a.m. - Alexis exited Parking Garage #28 on foot carrying a backpack. Alexis entered Building #197 and proceeded to the elevator.
- 8:09 a.m. - Alexis exited the elevator on the fourth floor and entered the men's bathroom carrying a backpack and a clipboard.
- 8:15 a.m. - Alexis crossed the hallway into the 4 West area of Building #197 with shotgun, but without the backpack or a clipboard.
- 8:16 a.m. - Alexis shot the first victim in the 4 West area of Building #197.
- 8:17 a.m. - First 911 call is received from the fourth floor of Building #197.
- 8:20 a.m. - Alexis left the fourth floor using the stairs and entered the third floor.
- 8:28 a.m. - Alexis appeared on the first floor.
- 8:57 a.m. - Alexis returned to the third floor.
- 9:25 a.m. - Law enforcement shoot and kill Alexis on the third floor.