Tis the season for love and romance, and this Valentine's Day, make your loved one feel particularly cherished, whether it is through simple words of kindness, a traditional box of chocolates, or a sentimental gift.
Below is a list of great gift ideas for him and for her, along with a brief history of the romantic holiday which is enjoyed by millions of couples around the world.
According to The History Channel, Valentine's Day originated as a religious holiday during which the Roman Catholic Church honored Christian martyrs named Valentine.
One such martyr was Valentinus, a Roman priest who performed Christian marriages without the permission of the cruel Emperor Claudius the Second.
Legend has it that Valentinus wore an amethyst ring with a cherub on it, which was an image associated with love in Roman culture. Roman soldiers would often see Valentinus' ring and request that he perform wedding ceremonies for them.
During his time in prison, Valentinus continued to share the Gospel with those around him, resulting in the conversion of a Roman guard named Asterius, whose young daughter was blind.
In the year 269 AD, Valentine was sentenced to a three-part execution of a beating, stoning, and finally decapitation all because of his stand for Christian marriage. According to legend, the last words the priest wrote were in a note to Asterius' daughter. He inspired today's romantic card-giving tradition by signing it, "from your Valentine."
In the 14th century, the poet Chaucer popularized the holiday in one of his iconic poems. Since then, Valentine's Day, which is celebrated every February 14th, has become a celebration of love, symbolized by gifts, poetry, candy, and flowers.
Here are some gift ideas for this year's holiday to make your loved one feel special.
2. Personalized charm necklace like these
3. A bouquet of her favorite flowers
4. Cute and aromatic candles like these
5.A romantic dinner for two at her favorite restaurant, or a picnic in the park
6. A handwritten note expressing the reasons you love her
7. Cooking lessons for two
8. A day at the Spa and a soft and cozy bathrobe
1. A French-press coffee maker and some of his favorite coffee
2. A techno-gadget that he has been researching
3. Tickets to see his favorite band in concert
4. A weekend getaway planned with the babysitter already scheduled
5. A unique watch
6. A Jersey from his favorite team
8. A coupon good for him to pick out some tools