As we celebrate Mother's Day to honor the most important woman in our lives - our moms - we should also honor Mary, the Mother of God and us all. The Bible tells as that she was the one who bore Christ, our Savior from our sins.
Jesus himself told His beloved disciple John, "Behold your mother" (John 19:27), in a message to all the members of his Church that we should all behold the mother who brought God's life to us. It is no surprising that Mary has become one of the most important images of the Catholic Church. Mary, our mother, has become the most sacred symbol of God's love to his Church. As children of God, we are bounded to one another through His love. And Mary is the perfect symbol to remind us of this.
Through Mary, the faithful is called to her son. She is our shining example of human virtue and we look at her as the epitome of our faith, the true humble handmade of the Lord. Yet, she is a woman with intense compassion to her children. Many faithful believe that we can get faster through Christ through her intervention. Such is the power she wields.
Even the Vatican Council II recognizes her importance when it decided to include a summary of Marian doctrine in the Dogmatic Constitution on the Church, instead of issuing another decree on Mary. Perhaps the Council Fathers want to remind the Catholic faithful that we should always place Mary equally within our understanding of the Christian faith.
Because Mother's Day is also a time to pay tribute to the greatest mother of all, Mary, we can show our devotion to our Church with these Bible verses that will help us to reflect and renew our faith.
- I Corinthians 13:4-7 - Love is patient; love is kind. Love is not jealous; is not proud; is not conceited; does not act foolishly; is not selfish; is not easily provoked to anger; keeps no record of wrongs; takes no pleasure in unrighteousness, but rejoices in the truth; love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, and endures all things.
This is one of the most well-known passages in the Bible on love. A mother's love knows no boundaries.
- Philippians 4:8 - Finally brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of a good report - if there is any virtue and if there is any praise - think on these things.
Moms are a great source of honor, loveliness and goodness. A mother's love for her children is pure and full of virtue.
3. Psalm 127:3 - Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD, and the fruit of the womb is his reward.
The Bible also teaches us to praise motherhood as God himself praises the woman who gives life to a child. Being a mother is God's reward.
4. Isaiah 49:15 - Can a woman forget her nursing child, that she should have no compassion on the son of her womb?
A mother will never forget her child no matter what. A mother's love and devotion to her child will stand the test of time.
5. Psalm 139:13 - You created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb
And even while we are still in our mother's womb, God's hand is already working to nurture us and make us what we are now.