Relaymedia

MH370 Latest Search Update: Search to Extend To June 2016 While Masses Join in Search for Missing Malaysian Plane Debris

( [email protected] ) Dec 08, 2015 05:49 PM EST
An Australian official reaffirmed confidence that the wreckage of the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 would be found but admitted that the search may extend to June 2016.
A chart of the priority search area for Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 prepared for the Australian Transport Safety Bureau. (Photo: Geoscience Australia)

An Australian official reaffirmed confidence that the wreckage of the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 would be found but admitted that the search may extend to June 2016.

This was revealed by Deputy PM Warren Truss in a press conference, the BBC reports.

Another Australian official, Assistant Minister for Defence Darren Chester expressed confidence in another matter: "We have a high level of confidence that we are searching in the right area."

Regarding this matter, the Australian Defence Science and Technology Group said in its recent technical report that a "comprehensive analysis of the available data" showed that MH370 almost certainly went down in the southern stretch of the area currently being searched.

Expressed optimism from the authorities were much welcomed by the victims' families who have not received closure from search results that have been found so far.

Feedback from the victims' families regarding the announcement are yet unknown, given that the agency in charge, the Joint Agency Coordination Centre (JACC) announced that more than 75,000 sq km has been searched without any solid results.

Underwater drones and sonar equipment deployed from specialist ships have been searching the 120,000 sq km area of seabed, 2,000km off the coast of Perth.

Meanwhile, Australia's News reports that crowds who frequent the beach around the world have been cooperative in sharing their finds with the authorities.

Chief Coordinator of the Joint Agency Coordination Centre Judith Zielke said that people found and handed in five-minute noodles from a South Australian beach and a bag tag at Nowra on the New South Wales South Coast.

Malaysia has sent investigators to the Maldives to inspect debris, but these are considered as having come from a capsized barge.

The finds were not treated seriously nor were they taken for granted for "it's very challenging for investigators to find something that can be linked to the aircraft - it would really have to be some form of debris from the aircraft," said Ms Zielke.

So far, the only debris that is being carefully considered is a flaperon that a  council worker found on Reunion Island.

Ms Zielke said other debris found on Reunion Island were "considered inconsequential or impossible to conclusively" link to MH370.

"If the flaperon is 100 percent confirmed, it will make the world of difference for families and hopefully answer some of their questions. We would hope the French judge overseeing the inquiry makes a call on that soon," she said.

Tags : MH370, flight MH370, flight MH370 news, flight MH370 update, flight MH370 search, flight MH370 recovery, Reunion Island, Malaysian airline, Darren Chester, Warren Truss, flight MH370 wreckage, flight MH370 debris, Judith Zielke