Earlier this week, the Chicago Bears announced that they will not seek to re-sign running back Matt Forte to a new contract extension. It means that one of the most consistent and prolific running backs in the league will hit the open market.
As early as now, there are reports that Forte's possible destination after Chicago is Seattle. Among those who think that he could be a good fit for the Seahawks is Conor Orr of NFL.com. "Before he was the consummate dual-threat back, Forte was a bruiser. At 6-foot-2, he had the ability to pound gaps better than most running backs in his prime," Orr wrote. "He has evolved plenty since then, but with the recent departure of Marshawn Lynch, the Seahawks could be interested in a smart and complementary running back to fit their system."
Forte, who turned 30 in December, could be like those veterans hoping for a good look at the playoffs. He earned over $7 million last season and proved to be a dual-threat indeed, rushing for 898 yards on 218 carries as well as catching 44 passes for 389 yards.
However, one of those who think that the Seahawks are not likely to acquire Forte is ESPN's Sheil Kapadia. "Considering the Seahawks' cap situation and free-agency needs, I don't think they're going to spend the money on running back," Kapadia reports. "The plan to replace the retiring Marshawn Lynch seems to be to go with Thomas Rawls and a couple of cheaper options. I'm assuming Forte is still going to be looked at as a starter by someone."
Following the Bears' announcement of their decision not to extend his contract, Forte expressed his gratitude to the team on Friday. The running back took to Instagram to post a photo of him wearing his Bears uniform and captioned it with: "Despite my wishes, my days as a member of the Chicago Bears have sadly come to an end. I was informed earlier this week from the GM that they will not be attempting to re-sign me in free agency. I will remain forever grateful for my time spent in Chicago and being able to play for an organization with such a rich history... Chicago will always be home."
In other Seahawks roster updates, backup quarterback Tarvaris Jackson, who has kept his position in Seattle for the past two seasons, will reportedly not re-sign with the team before free agency.
ESPN Seattle's Jessamyn McIntyre reports the said move, citing an unnamed source close to Jackson, and that the player took a deal worth less money than offers he received from other clubs to return to Seattle in 2015. That said, Fox Sports' EndZoneScore.com predicts that Jackson's next team would likely be the Cleveland Browns.
The 32-year-old Jackson is a 10-year league veteran who served as the Seahawks' starting quarterback during the 2011 season. In the past three seasons that he appeared as a backup to Russell Wilson, Jackson has played in eight regular season games and one postseason game for Seattle.