Since 2015, the Denver Broncos has been trying to get offensive tackle Joe Thomas on its roster. And, with the 2016 season coming up, the Super Bowl 50 champion is still looking to get the athlete, who received the Bruce Matthews Award for best offensive lineman last year.
However, just like last season, the Broncos failed in securing a spot for Thomas in its roster. According to Mile High Report, the 31-year-old athlete is still intent on remaining with the Cleveland Browns.
This was confirmed by Nate Ulrich, a news writer for Akron Beacon Journal. According to the journalist, Thomas and the Browns' new coach Hue Jackson met at Super Bowl 50. The latter then told the former that he is the number one player that he wanted the Browns to get.
Of course, Thomas viewed this as a huge incentive and he reportedly told the coach that he's "all-in" when it comes to playing for the Browns.
But, despite losing Jackson, the best left tackle is not the only option that the Broncos is considering for its roster. Another player that Denver is looking to retain on its team is defensive end Malik Jackson.
As noted by the Bleacher Report, Jackson played a crucial role in the Broncos' Super Bowl game against Carolina Panthers. He was the one who was able to recover the fumble by Cam Newton and score the first touchdown for the team.
But, despite being part of the winning team, Jackson is reportedly considering being a free agent once the market opens on March 4. Broncos, on the other hand, is trying to dissuade him from this decision by negotiating a new contract with the team.
It is not yet clear, however, how much the team is willing to pay Jackson just to retain him or if the athlete has finalized his decision about being a free agent.
As for the other players in Broncos' roster, rumors of Peyton Manning's retirement have been plaguing the team since dominating the Super Bowl 50. Although Manning has not yet decided whether to leave the team or not, it seems the Broncos is already preparing for his departure as the team is expected to open negotiations for a new contract with Brock Osweiler at the upcoming Scouting Combine, 9News reported.
Although he served as back-up for Manning for over three seasons, Osweiler was able to prove his worth in November last year after he took over for the former's quarterback position.