The celebration of Mother's Day this year falls on May 8, 2016 in most countries. While some countries might celebrate on a different date, the occasion typically falls on the second Sunday of May. This holiday is used to commemorate the sacrifices and love of mothers around the world.
The celebration of Mother's Day in the United States was started in 1908 by Anna Jarvis. This event became an official holiday in the country by 1914. Ironically, Jarvis later on became a staunch advocate of the removal of Mother's Day from the list of holidays in the United States due to the commercialization of the occasion. Traditionally, the celebration of motherhood is marked with flowers, poems, letters and chocolates from the children.
To better appreciate the value of mothers in our lives, here are inspiring Scriptures from the Bible and quotes from famous personalities about motherhood.
1. Children, obey your parents in the Lord, because this is right. Honor your father and mother which is the first commandment with a promise - that it may go well with you and that you may have a long life. Ephesians 6:1-3
2. Near the cross of Jesus stood his mother. When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, "Dear woman, here is your son," and to the disciple, "Here is your mother." From that time on, this disciple took her into his home. John 19:25-27
3. He gives the barren woman a home, making her the joyous mother of children. Praise the Lord! Psalm 113:9
4. Each of you must respect your mother and father, and you must observe my Sabbaths. I am the Lord your God. Leviticus 19:3
5. The wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down. Proverbs 14:1
1. "But there's a story behind everything. How a picture got on a wall. How a scar got on your face. Sometimes the stories are simple, and sometimes they are hard and heartbreaking. But behind all your stories is always your mother's story, because hers is where yours begin." Mitch Albom
2. "No man is poor who has a Godly mother." Abraham Lincoln
3. "A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends desert us; when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts." Washington Irving
4. "The best love in the world, is the love of a man. The love of a man who came from your womb, the love of your son! I don't have a daughter, but maybe the love of a daughter is the best, too. I am first and foremost me, but right after that, I am a mother. The best thing that I can ever be, is me. But the best gift that I will ever have, is being a mother." C. JoyBell C.
5. "A mother's body remembers her babies-the folds of soft flesh, the softly furred scalp against her nose. Each child has it's own entreaties to body and soul." Barbara Kingsolver