A few days ago, Motorola has been reported to be working on a new handset that might be called "Motorola Bounce." As its name suggests, the model will be a rugged smartphone aimed toward users with physically active lifestyle.
On Wednesday, the same source who have leaked the said model has just shared another photo that appears to be the same device. The "Bounce" moniker is apparently just an internal codename as the handset is now said to be called "Moto X Force."
The image is posted on Twitter by a serial leakster only known as "@upleaks." While it is safe to take information about unconfirmed devices with a grain of salt, it is worth mentioning that @upleaks had already shared accurate details about previously unknown devices in the past.
The alleged Moto X Force, pictured above, looks similar to the Motorola Bounce leaked earlier this week. The image hints that the model will sport the same design principles the company has utilized for the newly launched Moto X Play and Moto X Style. What will likely set it apart from other 2015 models is its supposed "shatterproof" build.
The Lenovo-owned device maker usually focuses on its handsets' look and feel. It has yet to tackle the concept of manufacturing models with emphasis on ruggedness and durability. If proven to be true, this upcoming device will be Motorola's first entry in the rugged smartphone category.
Taking a brief look at the competition, Samsung has already been releasing sturdier versions of its flagship models for years under the "Active" sub-brand. For instance, the new Galaxy S6 Active is both given IP52 and MIL-STD 810G certification. IP ratings are given to devices with certain levels of being waterproof and dustproof. The MIL-STD rating measure a device's ability to sustain exposure to vibration, dust, humidity, and thermal shock, among others.
The Moto X Force is expected to feature a 5.43-inch display with QHD (2560x1440) resolution. Under the hood, it will be powered by a high-end 64-bit octa-core Snapdragon chipset from Qualcomm coupled with 3GB worth of RAM and 32 or 64GB of internal storage.
A 3,760mAh battery is reportedly furnished inside, which is more powerful than that of the Moto X Play. On the photography front, the handset will sport a 21-megapixel main camera and a 5-megapixel front shooter.
Since Motorola has only unveiled its new Moto X Style and Moto X Play last month, it would make sense for the device maker to launch the Moto X Force later this year, in time for the holiday season. According to @upleaks, December is indeed the month when the device will be officially announced.