Android is very good an upgrading itself every year, but it is not very good at telling its users when the new version is actually coming. The good news is that last year's Android 6.0 (also known as Android M and Marshmallow) was one of the first upgrade of its kind to show up on Motorola devices, out of all Android devices. It looks like that Android 7.0 (otherwise known as Android N or Nougat) should show up on Motorola ones. This is what is known about the Android 7.0 Nougat for Motorola Moto Z, Moto G, Moto E, and Moto X Series.
According to Pocket Lint, Motorola devices receive Android updates a lot faster than some other devices, and this is thanks to the minimal additions that Motorola puts over the raw Android software. Last year, Android 6.0 appeared on Motorola Moto devices sometime in December 2015.
Gotta Be Mobile reports that the company has every intention of delivering fast and timely updates to its users, and a Motorola spokesperson states that consumers can "expect to see Android N on the Moto Z family and Moto G4 beginning in Q4". That report is apparently all that is known at this time.
However, there is a report of what Motorola smartphone models will be receiving the Android 7.0 Nougat update, according to Moto G3.
- Moto Z (2016)- XT1635-03,Moto Z-Droid
- Moto Z-Force (2016), Moto Z Force Droid
- Moto G DUAL SIM (3rd Gen) -XT1540
- Moto G (3rd gen) - XT1542/43/45(BRAZIL AND LATIN AMERICA)
- Moto G (3rd Gen) -XT1550( ASIA AND AUSTRALIA)
- Moto G3(US AND VIRGIN MOBILE)-XT1548
- Moto G TURBO EDITION (2015) -XT1557
- Moto E3 (2016 Edition) -All Models
- Moto E3 Power Edition -XT1706
- Moto G4 Play (2016) -XT1609
- Moto G4 (2016) -All Models
- Moto G4 PLUS (2016) -All Models
- Moto X Play (2015) -XT1562
- Moto X STYLE (2015) -XT1572
- Moto DROID TURBO 2 (2015) -XT1580
- Moto DROID MAXX 2 (2015) -XT1565
Generally, when there is a rollout of Android on any Android manufacturer, it comes to the newest first. I would imagine that any one of the newer ones after the Moto G4 and other Z family of the aforementioned list will get it during the initial rollout.
So a release date by the end of this year or the beginning of this year (at the latest) appears to be in the cards for Motorola. However, it is possible that Android 7.0 could come earlier to Motorola devices, as Android Nougat is already on Google's Nexus devices that were released last year. Yes, there is a lot going on with Android, and it is a good sign that Android upgrades are coming sooner, and could come to Motorola.