VANCOUVER - Chinese Christians from greater-Vancouver gathered to pray for the Sichuan earthquake, which the hearts of the attendants were united to address the urgent needs of the Sichuan earthquake disaster relief efforts. So far, they have raised $730,000.
This prayer meeting was co-hosted by the Vancouver Chinese Evangelical Ministerial Fellowship and Chinese Christian Mission Canada. Church leaders and average Christians participated in praying for a series of ten prayer topics.
Rev. Wayne Lo, secretary of the VCEMF, urged that all Christians should engage in the work of healing the spirit of these victims.
While praying for peace in China, Li Chuan-Qing, minister of Faith Chinese North America Baptist Church, expressed the urgent need to comfort the wounded hearts. “Only the gospel of Jesus Christ can heal their scars. Let us wake up to return this debt of the gospel by helping those who are in pains and sufferings.”
Angela Kan, director of CCM Vancouver, announced that they have gathered a total of $730,000 disaster relief funds since the fund-raising efforts initiated by Cultural Regeneration Research Society and CCM Vancouver began less than two weeks ago.
These funds will be used towards rebuilding the lives of those in the disaster-stricken areas in the long-run, Kan said. It will be sent to China to be used to care for the orphans from the earthquake, care for the education by rebuilding schools and purchasing school supplies, care of the victims’ physical and spiritual welfare.
The B.C. provincial government will match the donations collected, and the deadline is June 23.
The topics of prayers are as follow:
1. Pray that the Chinese can come to know the gospel. (Isaiah 45:18, Jeremiah 10:10)
2. Pray for peace in China. (Lamentation 3:41)
3. Pray that the Chinese will get to know that unshakeable world. (Mark 1:15; Matthew 24:14; Hebrews 12:28)
4. Pray for the God’s intervention of preventing any outbreak of disease. (Numbers 16:46-48, Revelations 5:8)
5. Pray that the Lord protect the orphans who lost their parents. (Psalms 68:5-6, Psalms 82:3-4)
6. Pray that the Lord can heal the wounded spirits. (Psalms 6:21)
7. Pray that the Lord would pacify the emotions of those who are traumatized. (Pslams 42:5, Psalms 121:1-2)
8. Pray that the grace of the Lord can heal the wounded spirits. (Romans 1:16; Matthew 24:14; Luke 4:18-19)
9. Pray that the Lord’s guidance will be all of the rescue efforts. (Romans 8:28)
10. Pray that more medical and rescue teams can go to the disaster area. (2 Corinthians 8:9, 2 Corinthians 12:9)