An organization that works to advance religious liberty for Christians released its Top Ten list of the "most egregious acts of Christian Bashing in America" in 2008.
Topping the list compiled by the Christian Anti-Defamation Commission is the assault by radical homosexuals after Proposition 8 passed in California in November. In opposition to the amendment defining marriage as between a man and a woman, some gay rights supporters verbally and physically assaulted Proposition 8 proponents, vandalized church property and automobiles and also blacklisted individuals, churches and businesses that donated money for the Yes on 8 campaign.
Second on the organization's list is attacks against Alaska Governor Sarah Palin for her Christian faith during her vice presidential run on the Republican ticket.
The organization named "Barack Obama Defames Christianity" third on its Christian bashing list.
"According to research into President Elect Obama's own statements about faith, and an examination of Obama's position on moral issues, CADC has determined that by any biblical and historic Christian standard, Barack Obama is not a Christian, although he claims he is a 'devout Christian,'" the CADC stated.
Also in the top ten list is "Religulous," a documentary by comedian Bill Maher who satirizes organized religion. CADC listed the movie in its number six spot, calling it "a very shallow, pseudo-intellectual documentary" and accusing Maher of not allowing for legitimate Christian answers from any leading Christian intellectuals.
Number 10 on the list is "Prop 8 The Musical" which stars Jack Black, among other Hollywood celebrities. The musical defames Christ, mocks Christians, and distorts the teaching of the Bible, the CADC claims, as it makes a case for same-sex marriage.
"It is time for the Christian bashing to stop and for Christians to no longer be treated like second-class citizens," said Dr. Gary Cass, Chairman and CEO of CADC, in a statement. "Anti-Christian bigotry is real and growing. Those who engage in it should be exposed and called to account."
Top Ten list:
1. Radical Homosexuals Assault Prop 8 Marriage Supporters in California
2. Vice Presidential Candidate Sarah Palin Is Attacked
3. Barack Obama Defames Christianity
4. Colorado Law Criminalizes the Bible – "SB200, a Colorado state bill recently signed into law, criminalizes the Bible. Section 8 of the bill entitled "Publishing of discriminative matter forbidden" makes publishing the Bible illegal because it contains anti-homosexual passages."
5. Chaplains Fired for Praying in Jesus' Name – "Chaplains for the State of Virginia are being denied their right to pray in Jesus' name. Six chaplains were fired for continuing to pray in Jesus' name."
6. Religulous the Movie
7. Minnesota University Professor Desecrates Communion – "A Biology Professor from the University of Minnesota, Paul Zachary Myers, recently desecrated a consecrated communion wafer from a Catholic Mass."
8. ESPN Anchor Dana Jacobson's "F*** Jesus" Remark – "Speaking at an ESPN corporate event in Atlantic City, N.J., to honor ESPN Radio personalities Mike Greenberg and Mike Golic, Dana Jacobson let go with a steam of vulgar remarks."
9. Bill Maher Gratuitously Attacks Pope – "Bill Maher, host of the HBO program Real Time, made light of the Pope during his recent visit and the tragic sexual abuse scandal."
10. Jack Black Musical Video