Israel responded to an explosion on the Lebanese border by firing into Southern Lebanon late Tuesday. A detonated bomb earlier in the day left two Israel Defense Forces soldiers wounded. An initial report from IDF claims that the explosion was caused by a device that was "planted with the intention of attacking IDF soldiers." A second explosion occurred 30 minutes later with no injuries or damages reported.
"The Lebanese government and Hezbollah are directly liable for this blatant breach of Israel's sovereignty," said Lt. Col. Peter Lerner, a spokesman for the Israeli Defense Forces. "The IDF responded to the unprovoked aggression against its forces and will continue to operate in order to maintain the safety of the northern border of Israel."
The Ali Hassan Martyr Unit, an alleged Hezbollah cell, has claimed responsibility for the attacks in the Shebaa Farms area. A member of Hezbollah, Hassan was killed on September 5 when a device he was attempting to dismantle was detonated by Israeli forces. Hezbollah is the Shiite Islamic group based in Lebanon.
This area near Mount Dov continues to be a point of contention in the region as Israel holds on to Golan Heights, which is close to the Lebanese-Syrian border.
Tension remains high along the ceasefire line as well - known as the Blue Line - which serves as a border between Israel and Lebanon. Implemented by the United Nations in June 2000, the line was drawn as a means of monitoring Israel's evacuation of South Lebanon.
Conflict between Israel and Hezbollah was not extinguished by the United Nation's action. In July 2006, Hezbollah launched rockets over the Blue Line into the Israeli town of Zarit, and crossed over on foot - capturing and killing three Israeli soldiers.
On Sunday, the Israeli military shot and wounded a Lebanese soldier infiltrating into Israeli territory along the Blue Line. Hezbollah responded earlier today with its first attack against Israel since March.
"Such actions are in contravention of efforts to reduce tensions and establish a stable and secure environment in southern Lebanon," said Stephane Dujarric, U.N. spokesperson.
Dujarric stated that today's actions by Hezbollah directly violated the U.N. Security Council resolution that was adopted in 2006 in order to end the war between the militant group and Israel. He said that a full investigation has been launched by the U.N. in Lebanon, and that both sides have been contacted to institute a ceasefire.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu remains focused on protecting the area and stated that Israel has "proven that we will respond strongly against any attempts to harm us."