A/G Missionary Found Dead After Plane Crash In Honduras

Mikes Hines, an Assemblies of God World Missions missionary was found dead on August 4 in Honduras after being lost since July 31
( [email protected] ) Aug 07, 2004 11:31 AM EDT

The Assemblies of God World Missions missionary who has been lost since Saturday, July 31, was found dead on August 4 in the remote western area of Honduras. Mike Hines was reported missing after his airplane failed to arrive in Honduras from El Salvador.

“It has been a difficult number of days for us all,” said Cary Tidwall, a AGWM Administrator. “Mike as a husband, father, friend, and incredible voice for Christ in Latin America will be greatly missed.”

Hines, who had been a missionary in Honduras for nearly 20 years, was flying back from El Salvador where he had been working with AGWM missionary Don Triplett in a month-long, nation-wide evangelistic event. After his “Helio Courier” airplane failed to arrive in Honduras, U.S. military resources provided coordinates from an emergency transmitter from the plane. “The plane [was] apparently in a remote part of western Honduras near the city of Gracias,” reported AGWM missionary Steve Entsminger, a missionary to the youth and children of Honduras. “There is little communication available in that area.”

According to Entsminger, Honduran military personnel were involved in an air search and a ground search while U.S. forces stationed in Honduras had also been dispatched to aid in the search.

Although Hines’ wife, Karen, was currently in the United States receiving medical treatment for cancer, his son Jeff and many of his “extended” family joined in the ground search, related Entsminger. Searchers included Don Triplett and Alcides Banegas, the Honduran A/G general superintendent.

On Tuesday night, August 3, the ground crew reached the crash site in the remote western Honduras, discovering the plane in pieces. Due to the increasing darkness of the night, the search for Hines halted, resuming the next morning. The following day, August 4, at 11:45 a.m., the crew found Hines’ body. He had been flying alone in the aircraft. Hines’ wife arrived in Honduras that same day.

“We ask for people to take time to lift Karen and the family up in prayer, for the Holy Spirit to comfort them and help them through this tragic loss,” commented Tidwall.

According to Entsminger, plans are being made for a funeral in La Ceiba, Honduras, where Hines was pastoring.