Black Desert Online has an odd history. Like many video games, it comes from another country as it was developed by Pearl Abyss, a Korean video game developer. It was released in Korean in 2014, then came to Japan and Russia in 2015, and has finally arrived in North America and Europe as of March 3, 2016. Shortly after, an expansion set known as the Mediah was released, which will be followed by some other huge improvements.
According to EGM Now, the free Mediah expansion began on March 30, and it is quite a huge expansion. It increased the size of the game world by 30 percent, and adds 1,000 new quests, new guild missions, a world boss named Kzarka, and the Crimson Battlefield, a 40 v 40 PvP skirmish that players can queue in solo or in groups of five. There is also new weapons, a new armor set, craftable alchemy stones, as well as an increase in the maximum enchantment level.
In addition to the Mediah expansion, there is going to be a whole lot more, according to Twinfinite. Pearl Abyss recently revealed plans for something more, and it appeared in translated form on DualShockers. This press conference in Yeoksam-dong, Seoul revealed the following:
- A huge amount of ocean with content introduced and continually updated.
- There will be sea battles with warships that players craft in guild houses, and even trading ships added as well.
- Ninja and Kunoichi will have awakening weapons, and wizards and witches will have awakend weapons like golems and spirits.
- A land known as Kamasilve will be introduced in the summer, as a homeland to the elves and ruled by two queens named Belollina and Hearawen. There will also be a race of dark elves known as Beniteu.
- A land called Drigan will be added later in the year.
- There will be Tier 9 horses added, and they will have some special skills like with the Pegasus, unicorn, and "hell horse".
- In-game voice chat will happen.
Yes, that is a lot of changes that are due to happen, and players should know that these changes are probably coming to the Korean version first. As for when the changes will come to the version in the United States, hopefully it will be at the same time, but considering how long it took for the game to make it to the states, it would not be a safe bet.
Speaking of Black Desert Online in the United States, the developer Daum Games made an April Fools Joke based on some controversy about Blizzard's upcoming game Overwatch. According to Gamezone, a recent victory pose from an Overwatch character known as Tracer was removed because it showed her posterior in a hypersexualized way, and you can read more about that here.
Daum Games announced that Black Desert Online will get special butt post victory animations in the new Crimson Battlefield PvP mode, which was added as part of the Media expansion earlier this week." Hopefully, Blizzard thought this was as funny as the fans of Black Desert Online.