Relaymedia

NFL Rumors & Updates: Johnny Manziel’s Lawyer Says Controversial QB Preparing to Play Next Season

( [email protected] ) Jun 10, 2016 12:33 PM EDT
The legal representative of former Cleveland Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel said the young athlete is currently preparing to play in the 2016 NFL season. But, according to sources, a comeback for 2017 is more likely for Manziel.
Former Cleveland Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel is shown in this combination police booking photos in Dallas County, Texas, United States on May 4, 2016. Highland Park Texas Department of Public Safety/Handout via REUTERS

The legal representative of former Cleveland Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel said the young athlete is currently preparing to play in the 2016 NFL season. But, according to sources, a comeback for 2017 is more likely for Manziel.

Manziel is currently a free agent and appears to be having a hard time securing employment in the NFL due to his various cases and controversies. After he was released by the Browns in March of this year, he was charged with misdemeanor assault after he allegedly hit his former girlfriend on the head which ruptured her eardrum.

Aside from this, he was also involved in other incidents such as the wreck of a rental car after it got into an accident.

But, according to Jim Darnell, Manziel's attorney, he and his client are currently working on a way to get him back in the NFL for the 2016 season.

"His immediate plans are to start getting ready for football," Darnell said according to ESPN. "We're working on."

After, for various sources, making a 2016 comeback is a bit unlikely for Manziel. For one, there's a very slim chance that an NFL franchise will let him join an offseason training camp immediately. Also, if he does get into the NFL, he could end up facing penalties due to his violations on the league's personal conduct policy.

Because of these, it might take time before Manziel and his camp can enter the NFL again. But, if he's really dedicated to playing again, and if he's keen on cleaning up his act and stop getting himself involved in new controversies, then he will probably be able to become an active professional player again in 2017.

However, it seems Manziel can't get a break because earlier this week, he got involved in another court case after he was served a subpoena while partying at a club in West Hollywood.

According to the Daily Mail, the court papers were handed to him while he was with a lady fiend and in full view of the paparazzi. At first, he refused to accept the subpoena in front of the cameras but eventually took it from the guy serving it.

The news site noted that Manziel is being sued for over $40,000 for reportedly trashing a mansion in Los Angeles which he rented in April.

Tags : 2016 NFL Updates, 2016 NFL Rumors, Johnny Manziel Controversy, Johnny Manziel Cleveland Browns, Johnny Manziel Subpoena, Johnny Manziel Abuse Allegations, Johnny Manziel 2016 NFL Comeback