Two bombs exploded near the finish line at the Boston Marathon on Monday, leaving three people and over a hundred people were wounded.
The two explosions are attributed to terror attacks around 2:45 p.m. EST, but no party has claimed responsibility. A third explosion was heard just before 4 p.m. at the nearby John F. Kennedy Library, but authorities have not linked the third explosion with the first two blasts.
The two explosions, which occurred seconds apart, created a chaotic scene with people crying and spectators running and many trying to help those who are wounded. Several said they saw limbs on the ground.
Police officials said they did not yet have any suspects in custody, but have begun the investigation. The FBI and Homeland Defense department are cooperating to find the perpetrators.
The authorities also found a device at St. James and Trinity Streets that did not explode, the person briefed on preliminary developments in the investigation told New York Times, and two other devices were found, including one in Newton, outside of Boston.
“We’re treating this as an ongoing event at this time,” Edward F. Davis, Boston police commissioner, said at a later afternoon news conference. Police had no advance warning of the explosion.
At the White House, President Obama said that those responsible would “feel the full weight of justice.”
David added that a “controlled explosion” also took place on Boylston Street, the New York Times reported.
While cellphone signals have been temporary disconnected, the Wifi are still running. Google has setup a Boston Marathon Person Finder page, allowing users to post who they are looking for or information about someone.
More than 23,000 runners started the race and 17,600 had already crossed the finish line. Nearly 4,500 other runners did not finish.