John Lennon is considered as one of the most phenomenal singer and songwriter of his generation. As one of the founding members of The Beatles, he had been known for his radical beliefs and stance on various issues including religion and war. Apart from Lennon, the legendary band was also composed of Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Stuart Sutcliffe, George Harrison and Pete Best. The Beatles eventually dissolved their working relationship in 1970.
As the public attempted to deal with the breakup of the band, what happened next further stunned everyone. On the eve of December 8, 1980, frontman Lennon fell victim to a cold-blooded murderer. His death happened right infront of the apartment he shared with wife Yoko Ono in New York. Lennon was shot four times at the back by Mark David Chapman. The Beatles frontman was then immediately rushed to the Roosevelt Hospital, where medical experts pronounced him dead on arrival. Prior to his death, Lennon had obliged Chapman with an autographed copy of Double Fantasy.
Although Lennon had been gone for more than three decades now, his music remains relevant in today's world. Here are notable quotes and wise words from a music legend:
1. Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.
2. We're trying to sell peace, like a product, you know, and sell it like people sell soap or soft drinks. And it's the only way to get people aware that peace is possible, and it isn't just inevitable to have violence. Not just war - all forms of violence.
3. You don't need anybody to tell you who you are or what you are. You are what you are!
4. A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality.
5. We all have Hitler in us, but we also have love and peace. So why not give peace a chance for once?
6. We've got this gift of love, but love is like a precious plant. You can't just accept it and leave it in the cupboard or just think it's going to get on by itself. You've got to keep watering it. You've got to really look after it and nurture it.
7. I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now?
8. If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there'd be peace.
9. Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.
10. Happiness is just how you feel when you don't feel miserable.