There is no stopping them now - the Duggars are soon going to be back on TV with a full new season "Jill & Jessa: Counting On." Still, whether they stay on is another story altogether, especially if angry viewers play to boycott the show.
The show, which premieres on March 15, will be focusing on Jessa and Jill, as well as the rest of the family except for Josh Duggar, who is still in rehab. Regardless that Josh is not part of the show, fans cannot help but be mortified that the family is given another chance to be TV. According to Examiner, some believe that the family already violated too many Christian or family values to be given the chance to be on a show again. "Many people do not want any of this sick family back on the air," wrote one woman.
Some people believe that even though Josh was the main culprit behind all the controversies the family was embroiled in last year, the rest of the family downplayed the gravity of his actions. Last year, it was found that Josh sexually assaulted minority girls, including his very own sisters, Jessa and Jill. This controversy, coupled with others, such as Josh's porn addiction and disloyalty to his wife, ultimately led to the cancellation of "19 Kids and Counting."
Now fans are enraged that the family is being given the chance again, and feel that Josh's sisters downplayed the effects of the child molestation scandal on them just to get back on TV. The two can be remembered to have blamed the media for sensationalizing the controversy and insisted that their brother was not a rapist. They also said they already forgiven him and moved on. The two are now happily married with their own kids. However, some fans believe that by allowing them to get away with downplaying the situation and worse, give them their own show again, the issue of child molestation will not be taken seriously anymore.
"Many argue that the 'girls' did nothing wrong and shouldn't be punished because of what Josh did," said one commenter. "To this I say "Bullschizz!" They went on TV and basically lied and downplayed what had happened to them. Then they facilitated in getting the [police] reports destroyed. "Going forward they have proven that they are grifters, liars, and even bigger hypocrites than one would think. Boycott TLC. Boycott the show," another said.
Allegedly, the family is keen to get back on TV because they lost their main source of income. Reportedly, they were earning $25,000 to $45,000 per episode back when "19 Kids and Counting" was still airing. TLC itself lost a lot of revenues with the show's cancellation since it is one of their most viewed shows.